Sunday, December 9, 2007

Healthy "Man-Pleaser" Meat Pie

My husband is a meat-and-potatoes kind of guy. Consequently, I am always trying to find frugal and healthy ways to appease his appetite. I adapted a recipe in my most recent Everyday Food magazine and came up with this yummy recipe. He's even eating the leftovers (and he never does that) without my asking him to eat them, so it must be good. Anything this simple and tasty is right up my ally!

Ingredients:
1 Double pie crust (I used a pre-made one)
2 Tbsp. oil
3 garlic cloves minced
1 medium onion chopped
1 carrot thinly sliced (I used a peeler to get the thin slices)
1 lb. ground turkey (93% lean)
1 can green beans drained and coarsely chopped
1/4 cup of prosciutto chopped

Directions:
1. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. In large skillet heat oil, brown onions and carrots over medium heat until carrot is tender around 5-7 minutes. Add garlic. Add turkey and cook until no longer pink. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and other herbs you like. Add in the green beans.

2. Add mixture to pie shell. Place crust on top, crimp edges, cut slits in the top to vent. Bake for 25-30 minutes until pie shell is cooked and nicely browned.

(P.S. this is not a picture of my pies, ours was gobbled up too fast, but I think these are beautiful. I wish I was as talented at making pies.)

No comments: