The British cook with leeks on a regular basis, and we have learned to love them as well! Here are two of my favourite recipes, both of which contain similar ingredients:
If you have these ingredients on hand, you will be able to make either recipe.
Leek, Pea and Ham Pasta
6 oz frozen peas
1 large leek
1 oz butter
5 oz thick slice smoked ham, cut into cubes
3 oz. cheddar of Lancashire cheese, grated
1. Cook spaghetti noodle al dente
2. Meanwhile, heat butt in small pan. Wash and slice the leek. Add to the pan and cook over medium heat for 3 minutes until softened.
3. Beat the eggs in a bowl and season. Drain the pasta and immediately return to the pan. Tip in the leeks, eggs, ham and half of the cheese. Stir well. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
*I substituted bacon for ham and it was delicious and oh, so easy!
Egg & Bacon Tart
shortcrust pastry (premade)
4 rashers streaky bacon, chopped
1 oz butter
2 cups milk (1/2 pint)
2 tsp ready made mustard
2 oz grated cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 200 C or Gas 6 (around 400 F). Roll out the pastry crust and line the tin. Prebake the crust for 15 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, Dry fry the bacon and leek for 3 minutes until bacon is crisp. Put, butter, flour and milk in a small pan. Bring slowly to a boil, whisking until thickened. Simmer for two minutes and sir in mustard.
3. Scatter the leeks and bacon over the pastry. Beat the eggs into the sauce and season. Pour into the case, add the cheese and backe for 40 minutes until puffed and golden.